Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Subway "Feast"

Sorry guys that I havent posted in a week, I try to update daily. I have just been busy with parties and post-christmas stuff. Anyway today is New Years and thought I had to work today, so I went down to to my work, on time, and I found out that they were closed today! I was so happy! When I got home I remembered that I had a big review paper due tomorrow for my English 1010 class. I went right to work and this is what I came up with:

"          I used to work at Subway and of course I tried all of their sandwiches. They just came out with a brand new sandwich called “The Feast” and I am going to review it. I was excited when I found out they came out with a new sandwich because they haven’t came out with any since I worked there one year ago. It only took me two months to try all of the Subway sandwiches while I worked there. From the delicious Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki to the revolting artificially flavored Seafood Sub. Every time they come out with a new sub I have to try it. It’s a weakness I have.

          When I got up to the counter I was trying to decide on what to put on the sandwich. I saw a display with a plastic version of the “Feast” in it. For reviewing purposes I made my sandwich look exactly like the display. The “Feast” is composed of five different types of meat: turkey, roast beef, ham, salami, and pepperoni. The toppings that I put on it included: American cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, pickles, and green peppers.

          After paying I sat down to eat the massive sandwich. I only got a six-inch “Feast” because I didn’t think I would survive the foot long. I could barely fit my mouth on it to get a bite. After I took the first bite I noticed the strong spicy pepperoni taste. It was kind of unpleasant but still better than most of their sandwiches. I don’t like eating a sandwich where there is more meat than vegetables. The meat was stacked at least an inch high. After eating it most people would feel guilty about how many calories they just ingested. If I were to rate the overall taste, I would give it a 7/10.

          Jeff Girod, also known as the Fast Food Guy, on www.pe.com stated, “Subway has hired Peter Griffin from ‘Family Guy’ as its official spokesman. It's a move I applaud, because anything endorsed by a cartoon character just tastes better.” I disagree with this statement because the Subway “Feast” is no better than a classic turkey sub and twice the price. If you wanted to order a Subway “Feast” you would have to pay a whopping $9.09 for a foot long or $5.59 for a six inch. Although, I admit, the “Feast” was quite filling and it did give me a lot of energy.

          The overall quality of the sandwich was great. At this particular Subway restaurant they have a new system that refrigerates the vegetables and meats in their containers. It is a great invention and works well. The manager at the store makes sure that all of the bread is freshly baked the same day. So this is the only Subway that I will eat at.

          As for the Nutrition of the seemingly unhealthy sandwich, www.thenewstribune.com says, “The site [subway.com] featured a ‘Nutrition Information’ button for every just about every sandwich – except the Feast.” I think that Subway doesn’t want to contradict their healthy appearance. I found a page at www.subway.com that shows all of the nutritional information for all of the toppings and meats so I am going to add them up to see how many calories are in a six inch “Feast” with Italian bread, American cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, pickles, and green peppers. With all of the toppings, bread, and meat, the total amount comes to a whopping 1210 calories and 48.5 grams of fat.

[UPDATE: Subway recently posted the amount of calories and fat in a Feast Sub, 590 calories and 25 grams of fat! I was way off! The info is at Nutrition Values(thanks Chris!)]

          After reviewing the “Feast” I have concluded to never eat this unhealthy sandwich again. It may taste good but it packs in a lot of unwanted calories. I can’t even imagine what would happen to you if you ate a foot long “Feast” every day. I’ll tell you one thing though; you might really end up looking just like Peter Griffin from the cartoon Family Guy."

Tell me what you think. I hope I get an A on it!

1 comment:

Write compliments here